Diagnostic test may be helpful in confirming a diagnosis and in some cases monitoring management. They are not to be used to develop differential diagnoses.
Resources to assist in establishing knowledge in diagnostic imaging are:
- http://www.auntminnie.com or http://www.auntminnieeurope.com
- Royal Children Hospital’s Radiology Guidelines
- Radiology Channel and Learning Radiology are 2 youtube channels that give a multimedia learning experience with animations and commentary
Very important in the assessment of imaging findings are the knowledge of what is ‘normal’ and what is not. Here is an excellent review of imaging features of spinal degeneration in asymptomatic populations and one here comparing knee findings in symptomatic and asymptomatic populations.
Resources to act as a resource for pathology tests are:
- http://www.labtestsonline.org.au (Australia) or http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk (UK) or http://labtestsonline.org (USA)
- http://www.aacb.asn.au/resources/laboratory-test-databases links to the pathology handbook of some of Australia’s more prominent hospitals
- Royal College of Pathologists Australia test listing